Saturday, June 23, 2007

Hungry in Hungary

We are now in Hungary. Since my last blog we have visited Bologna and Venice, Italy. We were suppose to take a night train from Venice to Vienna, Austria the other day, but the Italian train union decided they wanted a day off of work so they held a strike. We had met a nice Canadian boy named Maije at the train station who told us we could spend the night in cabins at a near by campsite, so we hopped on a bus from Venice and headed to the campsite. Our cabin was very nice but also very hot. I cant remember a time in my life I had been as hot as I was while in Italy. The next morning we went back to Venice and took a 9 hour train ride to Vienna. As soon as the train arrived in Vienna we got on a train headed to Sopron, Hungary. So we didnt exactly get to see Vienna, but we saw all the scenery headed into and away from it. It is interesting being in Hungary because I dont understand a single word they say. Today I almost caused an international incident when some lady kept talking to me and I finally just started shaking my head, put my hands up, and said No repeatedly. The problem is that No doesnt not mean No here. Nem is the correct word for no. German has a lot of words that seem like English and I know basic phrases like "do you speak english" and Italian is a lot like Spanish so that makes it easier, but Hungarian isnt like anything I have seen or heard before. Amy's brother is here on his mission, so today he and the other missionaries went to lunch with us and ordered for us so we could at least eat some good food. Otherwise we would just have to point at what we want. They also taught us to say some phrases like "I dont speak Hungarian" and "Do you speak English". They did tell us that everyone basically speaks English in Budapest so we shouldnt have any problems once we get there. Well I hope you are all doing well at home and are anxiously awaiting the blogs full of pictures when I get back home.

5 comments:

Luisa said...

Hey Ash,
I'm having fun reading about your trip and I'm not surprised you are almost causing international incidents:) I can't wait for the pics to come too. Keep having fun!

bettyjh said...

Ashley,
I must admit that I was getting very worried about you since you hadm't blogged for several days. It was great to hear from you. I was heartbroken however to hear about you just whisking through Austria. That is one of my dream trips you know. Keep the blogs coming, just can't get enough!

kimball said...

We love hearing of your adventures. We hang on your every word. Hurry home so we can celebrate your birthday.

Annalise said...

I took that train ride from Venice to Vienna. Beautiful huh? Only we were going to Prague and missed our connecting train and had to sleep in the station. That was creepy. Hooray for crazy Europe adventures. Keep 'em coming!

Natalie said...

Sounds good so far Ash. Don't worry about not putting pictures it is just great to hear what your are doing.